With each passing year, innovations in flexography continue to grow and expand, and this year was no exception. In 2019, flexography was once again a preeminent force.
Attendees to events like INFOFLEX and Labelexpo Europe saw firsthand the new and upcoming technologies that are allowing companies to streamline processes, automate and become more competitive. Printers continued to find ways to cut waste while not cutting back on quality.
Market research gave a positive outlook, with one report citing an expected increased demand for bulk packaging. Issues like the labor shortage continued to loom large, but in spite of that, flexographers are more equipped than ever before to handle such challenges. Here is a look back at 2019 in flexography’s world.
Companies from all different segments found value in an FTA membership, and in the last 12 months, nearly 100 businesses joined the Association.
New names were added to the FTA Board of Directors and FFTA Board of Trustees, and as individuals completed their terms, some were removed. Kristen Shields of Graymills Corp, Paul Teachout of Nilpeter USA, Sean Teufler of Harper Corporation of America and Laura Wright of CSW Inc joined the boards, while newly re-elected Johnny Dye of Accredo Packaging Inc began his first-year term as FTA Board Chair.
- Johnny Dye, Accredo Packaging, Chair
- Jennye Scott, Berry Global, Chair-Elect
- Mark Cisternino, President
- Dale Walbert, G3 Enterprises, Treasurer
- Kim Madigan, Smyth Companies, Vice Chair, Printers/Converters/CPCs
- James Stone, Fortis Solutions Group, Vice Chair, Education
- Jeff Dietz, KBA-North America, Vice Chair, Suppliers
- Doug Bartlett
- Kristen Shields, Graymills
- Paul Teachout, Nilpeter USA Inc
- Sean Teufler, Harper Corporation of America
- Laura Wright, CSW Inc
Ten FTA Member Webinars covered topics that included quality control, state-of-the-art press technologies, ISO standards, ink transfer and more.
MemberConnect, FTA’s portal for content and offerings exclusive to members, continued to be an important asset to members, with videos from FTA events and webinars, basic press operator training tutorials, archived issues from FLEXO Magazine, Tech Tips, print-related resources and more added throughout the year.
Labelexpo Europe 2019 took place Sept. 24-27 in Brussels, Belgium. Attendees numbered 37,903 and 140 countries were represented. The event saw the launching of new mid web presses, hybrid technology, and advancements in automation and sustainable materials.
Acquisitions were once again a frequent occurrence:
- Fortis Solutions Group acquired Infinite Packaging Group
- Platinum Equity acquired Multi-Color Corp
- Tension Corp acquired Motion Envelope
- Siris Capital Group acquired Electronics for Imaging Inc
- Eaglewood Technologies acquired Mid States Flexo
- Paper Converting Machine Co acquired RDP Marathon, IPT Digital and STAX Technologies
- PPC Flexible Packaging LLC acquired Popular Ink
- Global Graphics acquired Xitron