Great printers don’t just get the job done, they focus on building a reputation in the industry based on print quality and color consistency. That’s why they have been trusting in FTA’s Excellence in Flexography Awards—the industry’s longest running and most prestigious annual print competition—to assist in gaining the accolades and recognition they deserve.
Competitors from around the world handpick and submit their finest work to be evaluated by a panel of judges, comprised of industry members who have exacting standards and an eye for detail. Of the hundreds of entries submitted, a small subset are deemed worthy of an award—either bronze, silver or gold, and from those awarded gold, a handful are named best of show.
All award-winning prints gain global recognition and exposure through a number of avenues:
- Honored at the Awards Banquet during Forum
- A feature in FLEXO Magazine
- Displayed in the Awards Gallery during INFOFLEX
- Highlighted through FTA’s website, social media channels and press releases
The 2018 Excellence in Flexography Awards Will Be Announced in…Judging for FTA’s 2018 Excellence in Flexography Awards Competition took place Jan. 28-29 at the Hyatt Regency Long Island. Thirty judges drove and flew from across the country to get up close and personal with some 500 wrappers, boxes, labels, envelopes and the like.
They evaluated each print’s degree of difficulty and level of execution.
They quarreled over attributes like consistency, image sharpness, defect detectability and ink coverage.
They debated fiercely—huddled around and crouched over a narrow web entry, standing single file and eye level with a combined corrugated print—which deserved a gold, silver or bronze award.
In selecting a Best of Show from a category’s gold-award winners, they went for the proverbial jugular, calling attention to the slightest fault in pursuit of establishing a shining example of what flexography is capable of producing.
It wasn’t until the dust had settled, the prints had been rolled up and returned to FTA’s offices, and the award count was tallied that it became apparent something unusual had happened…
Read a preview of the 2018 Excellence in Flexography Awards and find out the winners at Forum 2018‘s Awards Banquet on Sunday, May 6.
The 2017 Excellence in Flexography Awards
“If anything, the 2017 Excellence in Flexography Awards showed that converters are on the ball. The levels of quality and embellishments were at an all time high,” said Forum 2017 Chair Paul Teachout, from Nilpeter. “Converters have taken every opportunity to utilize existing and trending technologies to improve their print performance and bring another level of ‘bling’ to their processes. The level of execution and difficulty was clear; the winning samples have set a new bar!”
The six Best of Show prints from the 2017 Excellence in Flexography Awards are:
- The Tops Herb Seasoned Croutons/Italian Seasoned Croutons Wrapper, printed by Transcontinental Robbie
- The Terra Sweets Medley Wrapper, printed by Industrias de Plasticos S.A.
- The Cozy Sunday Morning Body Cream Label, printed by Smyth Companies, LLC
- The Berkley Jensen Ultra Laundry Detergent Carton, printed by Advance Packaging Corp.
- The Zavida Coffee Roasters Organica Box, printed by Packaging Technologies Inc.
- The Paralyzed Veterans of America Tropical Flowers Envelope, printed by Mackay Mitchell