FIRST Operator Certification Scholarship
Become Certified for Free
Be sure to carefully read the information below as it outlines important details about the scholarship. The application can be found at the end of this page.
The FIRST Operator Certification program is widely recognized throughout the flexographic printing/converting industry as the standard of excellence in the delivery of high-quality, effective training at all levels. Individuals who successfully complete the FIRST Operator Certification Program will have attained the highest level of knowledge of the flexographic print process with specific expertise in implementing the principles outlined in FIRST 4.0 (Flexographic Image Reproduction Specifications & Tolerances).
For various reasons, it is not always possible for individuals interested in pursuing FIRST certification to finance the program. Although companies see the value and benefits of pursuing certification for their employees, the reality of today’s business environment does not always allow for the allocation of training dollars in their budget. To assist individuals (currently employed or displaced workers) who desire to improve their skills in the pursuit of certification training, doing so on their own initiative, FFTA is pleased to offer the FIRST Operator Certification Scholarship Program.
- Applicant agrees to pursue FIRST Operator Certification (Levels I, II & III) in one of the two areas of concentration: Press or Prepress.
- The amount of the award is $1,050. This is approximately 50% of the total member cost for the complete certification program. The remaining 50% will be in the form of a matching grant subsidy provided directly by FFTA.
- In order to apply for this scholarship, an individual must have at least two years of full-time direct work experience in any area related to flexographic printing/converting.
- The total award will be disbursed as follows:
- Level I - $250 scholarship
- Level II - $400 scholarship (may be taken immediately after successfully completing Level I in the next available session on the published Open Course Schedule)
- Level III - $400 scholarship (may be taken immediately after successfully completing Level II in the next available session on the published Open Course Schedule)
- Should a scholarship recipient fail to complete all levels within a two-year time period, any unused portion of the award will be returned to the FIRST Operator Certification Scholarship fund.
- Applications must be submitted directly by the individual wishing to pursue a FIRST Operator Certification. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is completely filled out and accurate.
- Scholarship awards are granted to the applicant…not to the company where he or she is currently employed. Upon successfully achieving FIRST Operator Certification, the individual will receive the appropriate recognition, not the company.
- All applications must be submitted utilizing the online form below.
- Any supporting documentation (e.g. work history, letters of recommendation, school transcripts, etc.) must be in electronic format and attached to the application at the time it is submitted.
- Applications will be reviewed four times per year (the first week of the month following the close of each quarter—January, April, July & October) by the FFTA Scholarship Committee.
- All applicants will be notified of the Scholarship Committee’s decision within one week of the most recent application review meeting outlined above.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is to be considered final. No appeals can be made without resubmitting a new application with additional supporting documentation.
Have a Question?
Contact Shelley Rubin,
manager of educational services, at 631-737-6020, ext. 36.